We are grateful for you – our customers – and are proud to serve you on Bainbridge Island. We’d like to highlight some of our work in 2023 to provide safe and reliable power and collaborate with the community on energy efficiency.
Here’s a look at our work last year:
- Upgraded the electric distribution system along NE Baker Hill Road and NE Hidden Cove Road. We replaced existing wire with tree wire and moved a section of overhead line underground to protect power lines from falling branches.
- In December, we replaced overhead wires across State Route 305 at NE Hidden Cove Road and north of NE Day Road. To minimize impacts to our customers and the travelling public, we performed this work at night and closed part of State Route 305. Thank you for your patience during this work!
- Updated aging equipment at the Port Madison Substation. We will return in the spring to complete the upgrades to this substation.
- Submitted our permit application for the Winslow Tap Rebuild and continued project design and permitting activities.
- Surveyed additional trees along the new Murden Cove – Winslow 115kV transmission line route to evaluate field conditions and minimize impacts to trees, critical areas and waterways as we continue designing the new transmission line.
- Trimmed trees along existing power lines to maintain safe and reliable power.
- Signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Washington State Ferries (WSF) on ferry electrification. This partnership includes electrification of eight ferry terminals in our service area, beginning with the Bainbridge Island terminal. We are early in the process and will provide more information about the construction plans and schedule as we work to meet WSF’s electrification goals.
- Encouraged customers on Bainbridge Island to sign up for the Flex Smart+ program to shift their energy use and save money.
- Updated the community on the status of these projects, including giving presentations at City, community organization, and neighborhood meetings; mailing a newsletter to residents and businesses and providing regular updates through this e-newsletter, one-on-one conversations, the website, social media and more.
We’ll provide information about the work planned for 2024 soon. Happy New Year!