Now that the temps have dropped, we want to share some tips to help you prepare for the colder months ahead.
Winterize your home
- Install weather stripping, insulation, and storm windows to prevent air leaks and drafts. Learn more and see if you qualify for PSE’s weatherization rebates here.
- Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls.
- Drain and cover outdoor hoses, sprinklers, and faucets.
- Clean out gutters and repair roof leaks.
- Remove dead or dying tree limbs.
Check and improve your heating system’s energy efficiency
- Improve your heating system’s energy efficiency and save money by enrolling your smart thermostat or water heater in PSE’s Flex Smart+ program.
- Sign up before December 31 and get $75 upfront, plus up to $75 more for each qualified smart thermostat you enroll.
- We recently expanded the thermostat brands we support to include Amazon, Honeywell Home, and Sensi in addition to the already supported Nest, ecobee, Mysa, and Sinopé. Learn more at pse.com/flexsmartplus.
- Service your heating system professionally to make sure that it is clean, working properly, and ventilated to the outside.
- Inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys.
Prepare for emergencies
- Stock water in clean containers and food that doesn’t require cooking or refrigeration.
- Keep your cell phone fully charged and have a portable charger and batteries on hand.
- Be aware of current and forecasted weather conditions.
- Protect your family from carbon monoxide (CO).
- Keep grills, camp stoves, and generators out of the house, basement, and garage.
- Locate generators at least 20 feet from the house.
- Leave your home immediately if the CO detector sounds and call 911.
- Review these PSE resources with information on preparing for weather-related emergencies:
We hope you consider these tips as you prepare for winter. Together, we can make this winter season safe and warm.